Sunday 14 March 2010

Spring is in the air

It has been very pleasant on the river over the last few days with temperatures continuing to rise and it has actually been quite warm in the Sun in comparison to recent weeks, at last Spring is peeping through with more and more Snowdrops beginning to show and new willow buds appearing on the river banks. Fly life is still very slow as you would expect and I have only been witness to a cluster of tiny Gnats yesterday and nothing more, although this can only be a good sign.

The Brown Trout season is upon us again tomorrow March 15th on the river Eden and although I will not be out myself as I have other commitments with Borderlines which is a not for profit company I am involved with dedicated to introducing people from all backrounds to angling and the environment, mainly children, I will be out later in the week with clients teaching casting and fishing techniques and hopefully we can catch a couple then, although I suspect that later in the month and into April will see some better chances.

As mentioned above we will be with schools tomorrow which is a follow on fishing session from indoor talks and an entomology session we delivered to them last week, so hopefully they will have an insight into the fishes diet before we even get started.